Monday, June 22, 2009

FAVORITE HEALTHY SNACK?

What healthy snacks do you really enjoy? No matter how simple or elaborate, share your ideas--the rest of us will love some great new ideas--or perhaps be reminded of something we haven't enjoyed in a while.
You can post your snack ideas (as many as you have!) under this post as a comment or just submit a new post altogether.

Here are a few of my favorite healthy snacks, some very commonplace, but I enjoy them:
  • A sliced apple & a tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter. Have you ever tried Skippy Roasted Honey Nut--Super Chunk? I'm addicted to it...
  • 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese topped with fruit, my favorites being a fresh peach or fresh blueberries, with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar if you like.
  • Here's my summertime favorite: A fresh tomato (preferably room temp, & it's gotta be home-grown!), chopped & lightly salted. Add 1 oz. fresh mozzarella (the kind that is sold by the deli cheeses--looks like a packaged white ball of cheese), cubed. Toss w/the tomato; add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, if you like. (My husband loves the vinegar; I don't care for it.) I could make a meal of this...I love it soooo much.
  • This one doesn't sound great, but I really like it, too: Heat 1 oz walnuts or pecans in microwave, oven, or in skillet to toast. Serve warm with 1/2 cup frosty cold grapes. It's surprising how well the flavors blend & how satisfying this snack is.

Enjoy!

~Pam

2 comments:

Ronda said...

I like hummus (especially the spicy kind!) with carrots or TLC crackers.

Pam said...

Yum--How could I forget hummus? I love it, too!