Monday, October 11, 2010

FALL VEGETABLE MEDLEY

This recipe is from the executive chef, Mark Webster, at the New Theatre Restaurant. If you've never been, the food is absolutely delicious--I highly recommend it!
I really enjoyed this dish, and I decided to ask the chef for some pointers on making it at home.  He very graciously gave me the entire recipe.  I am sharing as it was given to me, and then I've made some notes in black in parenthesis as to a few minor changes that I made. 
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

1.5 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into large dice
1 lb. baby carrots
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into julienne strips
1 tbls canola oil (I used olive oil)
3 oz brown sugar  (I reduced this to 3 tbls)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp kosher salt (I reduced this to 1/2 tsp & used sea salt)
1/2 tsp black pepper, butcher grind
2 tbls white balsamic vinegar  (I used red balsamic vinegar)
2 oz maple syrup  (I used 1.5 oz maple syrup)
Italian parsley for garnish

  • Peel squash and seed, cut into large dice, and steam for 2-3 minutes.  (I microwaved the squash for 1-2 minutes first in order to make it easier to cut the skin off. Cut into 1-2 inch dice.  After steaming, place squash in large bowl and set aside.)
  • Steam baby carrots for 10 minutes. (Add to bowl of squash.)
  • Preheat oven to 400.  Combine carrots, squash, red peppers, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in bowl and toss together.
  • Place on a sheet pan that has been lightly sprayed with pan spray, and bake in oven for 45 minutes.  (I lined the pan with foil.)
  • Meanwhile, caramelize onion:  Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.  Add onion and allow to caramelize (brown, but do not burn).  (Stir occasionally. I reduced heat to med-low after the first 5 minutes, as the onion was browning too quickly.  Onions took about 10-15 minutes to cook.)  Right before finishing, add the vinegar and syrup to the onion. The onions may be prepared the day before and refrigerated.
  • As soon as the squash, carrots, and peppers come out of the oven, toss with caramelized onions (taste for seasoning adjustments).
  • Lightly garnish with chopped Italian parsley before serving.