Tuesday, June 15, 2010

CHOPPED SALAD WITH BEANS

This recipe is based on a Bobby Flay recipe--just a few minor changes (less oil & cheese, more beans). Serve it as a main course or as a side dish.  I made it tonight for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. I used grape tomatoes instead of the beefsteak, and it gave it a pleasantly sweet flavor. Also, I could not find white cheddar, so I used all Monterey Jack. Hope you enjoy this, too!

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 heaping tbls Dijon mustard
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cups romaine lettuce, finely chopped
2 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, seeded & diced
(I used grape tomatoes, quartered)
1/2 can red beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 can garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup Nicoise olives, chopped
(I used a small can of sliced black olives)
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, cubed
Crumbled corn chips &
Fresh chives, chopped, for garnish

Whisk vinegar, mustard, salt, & pepper until smooth. Whisk in oil, & blend until emulsified. In serving bowl, toss lettuce, tomatoes, beans, olives, & cheeses. Garnish with corn chips & chives. Serve balsamic vinaigrette on the side. I found I needed very little dressing. It is very good & flavorful, but a little went a long way.

Serves 4

No comments: