Monday, May 24, 2010

BREAKFAST BURRITOS

OK, this is such a simple, no-brainer recipe that I probably shouldn't even post it. But I'm posting it anyway, because:
1) I really do like these burritos, and
2) I'm running out of recipes!!!
I haven't had the time to try out new recipes lately, but bear with me... In the meantime, I'm ALWAYS grateful for any recipe submissions on the blog, so feel free to post away!

I love to have these burritos for either breakfast or dinner. They are so quick to throw together--especially perfect when I'm in a rush. If you're looking for high protein food, these qualify. I like to use corn tortillas, as they contain about 1/2 the calories of flour tortillas, they have more fiber, and they add a distinct flavor. You can heat the tortillas in the microwave, but I much prefer cooking them on a pre-heated cast-iron griddle (even a dry non-stick skillet will do) until they are hot & somewhat puffed. And, although bacon does not qualify as "health" food, it adds a lot of flavor and only 25 calories per serving. To make things even easier, I use the packaged, pre-cooked & pre-crumbled bacon pieces.

You can get fancy by adding any number of ingredients, such as:
diced avocado
salsa
diced cooked potato
diced fresh tomato
chopped cilantro
diced onion
diced jalapeno peppers

Serves 2
4 corn tortillas
1 tsp olive oil
2 eggs
2 tbls bacon, crumbled
4 tbls cheddar-jack cheese, shredded
salt & pepper to taste

Pre-heat skillet, if using, to cook tortillas. (Heat tortillas while eggs are cooking.) Heat olive oil in another skillet over medium heat. Scramble eggs with a teaspoon or so of water. Add to skillet, stirring frequently. When eggs begin to cook, stir in bacon pieces. Once eggs are cooked through, remove from heat & season with salt & pepper, if desired. On each tortilla, spread 1 tbls of shredded cheese. Top with 1/4 egg mixture. Fold sides of tortillas inward over egg mixture & serve immediately.

No comments: