Sunday, January 3, 2010

HELPFUL PRODUCTS III: YOGURT

Yogurts, while a great source of protein, can be chock full of sugar or artificial sweeteners. (Check the nutrition label on your favorite brand.) I had just about sworn off yogurts when I found a brand called "Cultural Revolution". *NOTE: New name--Cultural Revolution yogurt is now called Kalona Super Natural yogurt.  It's an organic yogurt--very creamy & only 77 calories for the entire 6 oz container. It is low in sugar, too, with only 8.8 grams of sugar, compared to 20-30 grams for other brands. Consequently, it has a tart flavor. When I first started eating it, I added a bit of honey, but I quickly gave that up & now love it as is. I eat it almost every day with my breakfast. (I'll post that breakfast recipe next...) It has a very concise ingredient list, too, as opposed to other yogurts with numerous unpronounceable mystery ingredients.
Cultural Revolution is available locally at HyVee in the organic, "Health Market" section. It is also available at the new Price Chopper (not sure about the old one), also in the organic section. It is available in blueberry, peach, raspberry (especially tart), and vanilla (I've only found the vanilla @ Price Chopper). I especially like the blueberry flavor. Cultural Revolution costs more than regular yogurts, but I think it's worth it.

No comments: