Wednesday, June 29, 2011

SCRUMPTIOUS SUMMER SALAD

My friend Kelley makes the most delicious salads.  I am hooked on this particular combination--I've made it 4 times this week alone!  You can substitute any number of ingredients and dressings, but the following recipe is a delicious melding of flavors and textures.  Even if you don't normally care for Balsamic dressings, try this one--everyone I've had try it so far has really liked it, and it whips up in a snap. 
I have provided amounts for one large, meal-sized salad, but you can easily add more or less to suit your needs.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!


SALAD
Mixed baby greens and spinach, approximately 4-6 cups
1-2 tbls red onion, diced fine
2 tbls pecan halves, broken
2 tbls Athenos Black Peppercorn cheese, diced fine
1-2 tbls dried cranberries
1 can Mandarin oranges (use approximately 12 orange sections per salad)

Combine all of the above ingredients in a large bowl or plate.  Top with approximately 2 tbls of Balsamic Vinaigrette.

BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
1/8 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
11/2 tbls brown sugar

Combine all ingredients & whisk thoroughly.  If brown sugar does not dissolve completely, heat dressing in microwave for 10 seconds.  Stir again before serving.  Store any remaining dressing in refrigerator.